Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Be Prepared to feel old


When I joined Cub Scouts in the third grade, the Boy Scouts of America were celebrating their 50th anniversary.

And now the organization is celebrating its centennial. The Red Mill Museum Village in Clinton is helping to celebrate the occasion with a special exhibit, “100 Years of Boy Scouts by Area Boy Scouts.” It will be up through Oct. 3.

Although I grew up in Connecticut, I have a New Jersey Boy Scout connection. In 1963, my Tenderfoot year in Boy Scouts proper, my troop made a camping trip to Gettysburg and Valley Forge. On the way back, we made a stop at the Boy Scouts' National Headquarters, which was then located in North Brunswick. The headquarters has since moved to Texas, but I believe part of the site is now a park.

The Red Mill Museum Village is located at 56 Main St., Clinton. Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tues.-Sat., noon-5 p.m. Sun. (April-Oct.), 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sat., noon-4 p.m. Sun. (Nov. 1-Dec. 21). theredmill.org or (908) 735-4101.

No comments:

Post a Comment