Saturday, January 23, 2010

Grounds for Photography


A few months ago I reconnected online with a cousin I hadn't seen in more than 20 years. We both grew up in Connecticut, but careers, marriage and the deaths of family members who usually brought us together caused us to lose touch.



So to my surprise, it turned out we're both living in New Jersey now, and she lives in Ewing, close to my workplace in Trenton. And, as it turns out, shes a really good amateur photographer.



And Susan Alexander Mills is one of the 35 photographers whose work was selected out of more than 200 entries for Grounds for Sculpture's Winter Season 2010 Exhibition, which opens tomorrow at the Hamilton sculpture park.



"Focus on Sculpture 2010" is a juried exhibition of amateur photographers' images of sculpture. Susan's subject is the MLK Fountain on the Princeton University campus. Her image, which resembles an Impressionistic painting, accompanies this post.



Grounds for Sculpture is a 35-acre park located on the former site of the New Jersey State Fairgrounds. Founded in 1992 by J. Seward Johnson, it features more than 200 works by both established and emerging artists. It's located at 18 Fairgrounds Road, Hamilton, just off Exit 65B of Route 295 and close to NJ Transit's Hamilton station.



I've been wanting to visit Grounds for Sculpture since I started working at The Times a year ago, but since I live up in Bergen County, the distance has kept me from getting around to it. Now I have an extra incentive to get there and see Susan's work along with everything else there.

No comments:

Post a Comment